Friday, December 5

I'll Drink To That!

75 years ago today, the 18th Amendment to the Constitution was repealed. Now, normally I get a bit pissy about changes to the Constitution; however, it is my humble opinion that the 18th amendment was stupid anyway. So there.

The 21st Amendment was ratified on December 5, 1933. This amendment officially declared alcohol consumption, transportation, and possession would be legal again. Now, I wasn't alive to see this happen - hell, my grandparents were not even alive then - but I can imagine the reaction to this news went something like this:

"Thank you, Congress! I am so happy you have allowed me to drown my sorrows in a bottle of bourbon!"

and

"Cool! Maybe I can drink away the existence of the Hoover Administration!"

and

":::GULP::: Aahhhhhh..."

Again, I wasn't there. This is supposition, folks. But I'm probably close, right?

The point is that we can legally imbibe and we have been doing just that for 75 consecutive years. So in celebration of that, we are being asked to do more:

"This anniversary is a great time to recognize the success of the past 75 years of effective, state-based alcohol regulation since the ratification of the 21st Amendment," said NBWA President Craig Purser. "Today, American consumers of legal drinking age have access to nearly 13,000 labels of beer from the smallest craft brews to the largest multinational labels - all delivered through a transparent and accountable alcohol distribution system. If you're of legal drinking age, join America's beer distributors in raising a glass on December 5 to the 75th anniversary of the 21st Amendment and today's successful system of state-based alcohol regulation."

Sounds reasonable to me. Then again, I am so easy.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment