Monday, December 8

Newsweek: Gay Marriage

This is an excellent article by Lisa Miller about the religious views of the anti-gay establishment. I found this article interesting for many reasons. On a personal note, I am not a religious person. I was raised in a family where members practiced different variations: Methodist, Baptist, Seventh-Day Adventist, etc... If I had to claim one religion at this point in my life, it would be Humanist (did you know there are, like, 15 different aspects of Humanism? How does that make any sense??)

Suffice it to say, I just think people should be respectful of individuality, patient with differences, and stop using their personal beliefs as an excuse to be unkind. It always amazes me when I see someone being angry and judgemental and condescending while wearing a Christian cross around their neck. I mean, doesn't following Christ mean something anymore? Or is it just jewelry and random words? If you choose to believe that Christ is your Savior, then why not do your best to treat others like he did? I remember those stories about him from church as a kid. He seemed like a good guy. He said some good things. He did a lot of good deeds. He was kind, patient, giving and forgiving. Seems like someone to emulate, not use to degrade and disrespect others.

To paraphrase a line from Studio 60: If a gay couple moves in next door, how does that impact my family relationships? And if it does, why is it their problem??

No comments:

Post a Comment