Wednesday, October 1

Couric Interview With Palin

So, I have come to a realization lately. The more Gov. Palin says, the more questions I have about her worldview. This final section of her interview with Katie Couric has baffled me. So, I'm gonna put my questions out there -not because I expect them to be answered but because, well, it might make me feel better. Kinda like therapy.

1) Palin considers herself to be a feminist. This answer actually surprised me. Maybe that makes me naive. If you are not supportive of equal pay for equal work, you are not a feminist. If you do not support a woman's right to choose which path to take with her pregnancy, you are not a feminist. If you think a rape victim or incest victim should have no choice but to deliver the baby and put it up for adoption, you are not a feminist.
2) Palin and McCain disagree on drilling in ANWR. She believes it should be drilled for oil, he is against it. Which one caved to form the ticket? Will Palin still talk about drilling there even though McCain disagrees. Will she declare McCain's position when asked about it? If they disagree about this policy detail, how do we know which one will prevail in the administration?
3) I appreciate that she feels it is not so important how global warming happened but that we need to fix it. I guess. I think it is easier to figure out how to fix something if you know what caused it to break, but whatever. Here is what bugs me the most about what she said-"I'm not going to solely blame all of man's activities on changes in climate." Um, what? Um, oookaaay.
Maybe she can get a redo of that sentence at the debate. I know I'm being picky here, but it bugged me.
4) I liked the specificity of Couric's question about abortion, but I still have questions. Palin states that she would choose life in the situation of a 15 year old rape victim who becomes impregnated but her attacker. She feels that the baby should be delivered and put up for adoption. What does that mean? Would she pick Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade or not? And if she is against jail time for women who have illegal abortions, what would the punishment be? Would the doctors be punished? What about the psychological and emotional effects on rape and incest victims forced to carry to term the effect of a violent act? Will there be help offered to cope with that or will they be left to deal with that on their own? And again, not to belabor the issue, but how is this a feminist approach?
5) Palin said that she is a proponent of contraception but she is against abortion and against the morning-after pill. Since she feels that life begins at conception, does she consider the morning-after pill a form of abortion?
6)Palin is the daughter of a former science teacher yet she thinks that man and dinosaurs walked around together starting about 6,000 years ago? How did that happen? I'm intrigued.
7) Palin has a best friend who is gay and she believes that is a choice. I'm glad she doesn't judge people because of their sexual orientation, but the fact that she thinks it is a choice really bugs me. If that were true, there would not be so many suicides and attempted suicides by gays. There would not be such a struggle for equality by gays. And, people like Brandon Teena, Matthew Shepard, and too many others would have chosen to be straight instead of tortured for being gay. This whole "homosexuality is a choice" theory is such crap. It makes me have questions regarding Palin's thoughts on domestic partnerships and civil unions and discrimination. I wish Couric would have asked a few follow up questions. Maybe Gwen Ifill will on Thursday night.
So, there you have it. I have more questions now than before the interview. These are just the ones about domestic policy. Don't get me started on national security, foreign policy, trade...

No comments:

Post a Comment